Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Today, I'm talkin about....

Black Beauty

I know it's been a while since I've written here, but there wasn't a subject that got under my skin so much that the only way for me to vent was to write.

Well, some idiot changed that today. I need to vent.
www.huffingtonpost.com

This has to be one of the most offensive articles yet. It's up there with the story about black men who don't like natural black hair on black women. 

Could this be one of the reasons that we (black women) have a hard time seeing our men with white women? YEP! We have been taught in this country and the world that black women aren't as pretty as  white women, especially white women with blonde hair and blue eyes. Black women with darker skin tones have an even tougher time being seen as beautiful, by a lot of people. Even within the black race. When our men don't want to date us, and they want to have a family with a white woman, it feels like they don't see us (black women) as beautiful or desirable.

We all are aware that, for the most part, people just fall in love with the people they love. But I think that opinions, like the writer of this article, is the reason why (some) black women feel slighted when it comes to our black men with women from another race. Music videos with black male artists, usually have light to nearly white women acting or dancing in their videos, as if browner skinned women aren't as beautiful. I stopped watching a couple of television shows because of the black male actors being paired up with white female actresses. It is hard for me to see and there is a sharp pain in my stomach, even though I know it's wrong of me to feel that way. Television seems to be putting forth an effort to show more mixed-race relationships with black actresses and white actors. Which is one of the reasons why I LOVE sci-fi. Most sci-fi movies use actors of color, and it's hard to be racist when you're human vs. alien. That's when we all HAVE to get along. 

Star Trek was one of the first television shows to have a black woman as a sex symbol, and Next Generation is one of the first shows to bring up the issue of sexuality, back in the late 80's. We could all learn a lot from science fiction. 

Maybe one day in the future there will be comments about a black woman as a beautiful woman, not a woman who is "beautiful for a black woman."  

Now, these are only my opinions. I'm NOT saying that all black women think like I do, I'm not the national spokeswoman for black women. I only speak for myself. 

Proof that the writer of that article doesn't know what he's talking about? Duh, me!

Peace and love

No comments:

Post a Comment